On Wednesday 23 Jul 2003 3:59 pm, drew martin wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 Jul 2003 3:34 pm, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 23:42, drew martin wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >         How do I turn off Xsever?So I can install some new
> > > video driver.I have tied everything I can think off.
> > >         I'm running MDK 9.1,I've work out how to get to the
> > > folder in a Terminal,bu keep getting the error message"you
> > > apper to be running a X sever please,turn off".
> > >       The drivers are the new Nvidia ones for my TNT2
> > >                 Drew
> >
> > Set your system to boot into runlevel 3 -> after that, then you
> > can safely install the video driver - and test it by starting X
> > with "startx" - then once you're satisfied that the driver works
> > correctly, reset the system runlevel to 5 (graphical login)
>
>  Hi Stephen,
>                  How do you do this?Dummy needs walk thought cause
> I'm complete Newbie.
>                 Drew

If you want to run in text mode for this one session only, don't
bother changing any scripts anywhere.  Just boot up as normal, but as
soon as the lilo splash comes up hit Esc.  Then type 'linux 3'.  This
will take you to a console and you can do whatever the instructions
tell you to remove the old card driver and install the new one.  Boot
as normal afterwards.

HTH

Anne