On Wednesday 23 Jul 2003 9:39 pm, Grant wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 Jul 2003 7:43 pm, Grant wrote:
> > > I just finished downloading 97 packages through the Mandrake CC Update
> > > utility and it told me there were three conflicts during the
> >
> > installation
> >
> > > and it aborted.  I did choose to keep the downloaded rpms.
> >
> > What do I do?
> >
> > > - Grant
> >
> > Open your Mandrake Software Manager GUI.
> > Select to filter on 'upgrade availability'
> > You will see a list of the available updates.
> > Select to upgrade a selection of them.
> >
> > urpmi will automatically work out that the packages are already
> > in the cache
> > and will not try to download them again.
> >
> > Repeat until you have installed them all.
> >
> > derek
>
> Ok, I just installed three CUPS updates correctly, but it wants to know if
> I want to use the new conf file or not.  I'd imagine it will ask me this
> for most of the package updates.  How do I know which to choose?
>
> - Grant

The dialogue box allows you to inspect the old and new config files and see
the 'differences' between them.

If you have altered a config file from the original default, then you will
probably want to use the old file which contains your edits, but you should
look to see if any new features have been added in the new version you might
want to copy over to the old one.

In the case of cups. Your old cups config file has all the details of your
printers in it. If you were to accept the new file you would have to go
through the printer setup again which you obviously would rather not have to
do.

You will only see these dialogue boxes for a small number of packages. Cups
and samba are probably the most critical ones.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net