Very many thanks Richard,

Richard Urwin wrote:

On Sunday 27 Jul 2003 3:59 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:

I used urpmi to install rosegarden from contrib.
There were a number of additional issues I think I resolved
successfully
though I'm not entirely sure.

However on first use I get,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# rosegarden
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".

I don't get those

Yes, GLX could refer to my nvida geforce3 driver, I suppose.
So maybe something needs adjusting there .

AudioPluginManager::fetchSampleRate - couldn't fetch sample rate
RosegardenGUIDoc::xmlParse (reader.parse()): 20ms elapsed
AudioFileManager::generatePreviews - for 0 files

then on loading the first yamaha .mid file
doh! ran out of dots
doh! ran out of dots

But I do get those

The GLX seems to be a feature of the screen driver that rosegarden wants to use. Don't wory unless there's a graphics problem.
The next three seems to be status stuff, ie not errors.
As a programmer the doh! messages smell like debugging stuff that someone has forgotten to remove, nothing to worry about.

At the moment I don't think there is a graphics problem

check out http://www.mandrakeclub.com/article.php?sid=979

First off I have a via 8233 sound chip on this machine, it's not a sound blaster type of PCI device.
Mandrake sets it up under ALSA, and franky I generally don't like to mess with it these days, as, touch wood, it seems fairly solid now.

but, according to this,

An ALSA MIDI mapper
(C) 2002 David Given

Introduction
------------

amidimap is a basic MIDI mapper for the ALSA sound system. It acts as a filter,
receiving and transforming MIDI events and then outputting them.

For example, I have an elderly and decidedly non-GM Yamaha PSR300 keyboard. How
can I play GM sound files on it? Like this:

amidimap -f psr300.map & (starts the mapper)
aconnect 128:1 64:0 (connects the mapper's output to the MIDI device)
pmidi -p 128:0 thingy.mid (plays a GM file to the mapper)

The psr300.map file contains all the necessary rules to turn GM into
PSR300-speak. It remaps all the instruments, swaps channels 9 and 15, and
remaps the notes on the drum track to match the PSR300's rather limited
drumkit.

but then I also note,
Step 2. Get a Soundfont
=======================
Now you need to find a file, 8MBGMSFX.SF2, on your Soundblaster installation disk and move it to your hard drive. The file is in /mnt/cdrom/AUDIO/COMMON/SFBANK and it is the wavetable of instrument sounds that the Soundblaster needs for its midi sequencer. If you're the only user, it's easy to just move it into your home directory, or perhaps to /usr/share/midi (which probably already exists). This is the largest, and consequently best-sounding, of the soundfonts on the Soundblaster disk. It will be loaded into RAM, so if memory is at a premium you can use either of the smaller sf2 files. If memory is not at a premium, or if you want to experiment with even larger soundfonts, please check the section Need Midis or Soundfonts? below. If you dual boot, the soundfont is probably already installed in /mnt/win_c/Program Files/Creative/sbpci512/SFBank, and if you want you can load it from there.

Step 3. Load the Soundfont
==========================
Install awesfx and awesfx-devel from your Mandrake distribution disks or from MandrakeClub Downloads (using Mandrake Control Center: Software Management or any alternative method). Then open a terminal and enter the command

/bin/sfxload [space] /path to soundfont/8MBGMSFX.SF2

(The /bin is probably not necessary and the path to soundfont is the path to where you put it; [space] means hit the spacebar.) If all things are well, you will be returned to the prompt and the soundfont has been successfully loaded. If you see a message about path or file not found, you have probably made a typing mistake. If you see a message about cannot find /dev/sequencer than you are using the wrong driver, please return to Step 1, or read the note at the bottom.

it looks as though maybe something needs setting up ?

I came across http://www.pdamusic.com/computer/midi-qnd.html You might find it useful, but it doesn't bear on your current problem.

I had assumed that there must be soundfonts out there that implemented the Yamaha maps, but just now I wasn't able to find any. With more time on your hands you may be able to. This would be the ideal way of solving the problem.

Otherwise http://www.cowlark.com/amidimap.html supplies a mapping utility that will do the job, if you build a configuration file for it. There is an example configuration file that goes the other way, so just maybe it's just a matter of swapping all the lines around.

I think it would help if I knew where rosegarden stores it's sound fonts and to take a look at them and see what if anything in likely to work with yamaha 's sound fonts.

If there is nothing suitable installed then I need to try to build a yamaha sound font of my own. I suppose there must be some somewhere on the yamaha keyboard itself , I wonder where they are and if I could access them.Just trying to think of some easy way to get it right.

Anyway, the essence of the matter is that I need a workable sound font for this yamaha keyboard and get rosegarden to addopt it. Is that it ?

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]