I'm using a MDK 9.1 box as a gateway machine for a cable connection with
Comcast. It's running Firestarter as a firewall, and I have ports
7777-7781 forwarded to my comp for hosting Unreal Tournament games.

Last night I tried to host a game, but my buddy couldn't connect to
my machine. I checked Firestarter and it wasn't registering the attempts
which means the connection was going through to my box.

My box was running UT on Winblows XP. I checked UT's .ini files, and
it is set to accept connections on 7777. Why do you think he couldn't
make it through to me? (And yes, I could connect to him.)

Miark