On Monday July 28 2003 04:50 pm, Jerry Barton wrote:
> That said, I have a question (imagine that!) about the 2.6-test
> kernel.  pclinuxonline had a bit about rpms available for
> mandrake on some mirrors in contrib.  I've been going through the
> mirrors but can't seem to locate it.  Does anybody know which
> mirror has it?

   Cooker contrib mirrors (RPMS2).  It's only 2.4 mb. A lot of
modules are missing, it might not be able to make an initrd. It'll
probly fail to boot. Unless you're knowledgable enough to fix a
completely broken system you shouldn't fool with it. You'll also
need these files, initscripts, mkinitrd, and module-init-tools, and
they will probly also break your system.
http://supermount-ng.sourceforge.net/mdk-25/

   If you get the kernel-source rpm (47.5mb), or the vanilla kernel
from kernel.org, it'll most likely refuse to compile. Get the docs,
as the compile steps are very different for 2.6
ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux/distributions/Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS2/kernel-2.6.0-0.test1.1mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

   Bottom line: 2.6 will be ready to use sometime early next year.
I'd suggest you search and read the '2.6' discussion on the cooker
ML archive.