Eric Mings wrote:

> One of the main reasons I started using linux was the much touted great
> reliability and minimal crashes. However recently I have had considerable
> problems with the machine (pentium 450) freezing up when left alone for
> several hours. The situation is that I am running KDE and using Kppp to
> maintain a connection to my ISP. No other programs are running during
> these times except daemons. When I return to the machine my mouse is
> completely unresponsive as is the keyboard. At first I thought maybe a
> screen saver was doing it, but it did the same thing last night with no
> screen saver running. I have looked at the system log but don't see
> anything obvious. Ideas and suggestions for solving this would be greatly
> appreciated!

Is this the same machine that has the slow boot problem?  I'd begin
looking at BIOS options to see if there's something obvious causing
problems.  If it's not odd BIOS settings, I suspect you've got hardware
going flakey.

What is running on the machine when it freezes?  (daemons as well as
userspace).

--
Steve Philp
Network Administrator