I do not think so, I think Anne Wilson has an epson 1260, it might be worth askking how she gets on, but I suspect it may be a driver selection and configuration problem to sort out.

I presume in works in the sense of snanning a straight document to a .pnm or jpg file.

If this is correct, then it's the photoscan side of the driver that needs waking up.

Not sure how this is done, but here are a few places to look.

/etc/sane.d/epson.conf is where the driver configurtation is stashed

here is mine
# epson.conf
#
# here are some examples for how to configure the EPSON backend
#
# SCSI scanner:
scsi EPSON
#
# Parallel port scanner:
#pio 0x278
#pio 0x378
#pio 0x3BC
#
# USB scanner:
#
# Auto-detection of models known to the "epson" backend
usb
#
# Auto-detection of model specified by vendor/product (example is Epson
# Perfection 2450, use "lsusb" or "sane-find-scanner" to get the IDs of
# your scanner model)
#usb 0x04b8 0x0112
#
# Selection of scanner by device special file
#        only enable this if you have an EPSON scanner. It could
#               otherwise block your non-EPSON scanner from being
#               recognized.
#        Depending on your distribution, you may need either the
#        first or the second entry.
#usb /dev/usbscanner0
usb /dev/usb/scanner0

I don't think this actually says much except that it is an epson scanner on usb port.
My M91 installer got this wrong and gave it a parralel port , and I had to change it to
usb /dev/usb/scanner0. It is the only thing I had to do to make my scanner work, but in M9.0 I didn't even have to do that.

/etc/sane.d/dll.conf is where some parameters are set, here is mine # enable the next line if you want to allow access through the network: net abaton agfafocus apple avision artec artec_eplus48u as6e bh canon canon630u #canon_pp coolscan coolscan2 #dc25 #dc210 #dc240 dmc epson fujitsu gt68xx hp hp4200 hpsj5s leo matsushita microtek microtek2 mustek #mustek_pp mustek_usb nec pie pint plustek #pnm qcam ricoh s9036 sceptre sharp sm3600 snapscan sp15c #st400 tamarack teco1 teco2 teco3 #test umax #umax_pp umax1220u v4l viceo # # The following backends are not included in the sane-backends distribution # If you want to use them, download them from their webpages and read their # documentation # # HP OfficeJet backend homepage: http://hpoj.sf.net/ # Uncomment the following line if hpoj is installed: #hpoj niash

I think you are supposed to # out everything not applicable, so if for instance you want to be able to connect to the net from sane make sure than "net" is unhashed

/etc/sane.d/qcam
#
# In order to use the qcam backend, you'll need to enable to line with
# the port address for your scanner.  You can enable multiple lines if
# you really have a QuickCam connect to each port.
#
#u0x37b # /dev/lp0 forced in unidir mode
#u0x378    # /dev/lp1 forced in unidir mode
#u0x278    # /dev/lp2 forced in unidir mode
#0x37b    # /dev/lp0
#0x378    # /dev/lp1
#0x278    # /dev/lp2
0x3bc    # /dev/lp0

speaks for itself.

If these do not do the trick then I guess a better backend driver is needed.
For that it's best to visit the sane website and start looking for answers.

John

Erylon Hines wrote:

Is what you've been doing only possible with the 2450? I can't get the slide scanner to activate with the 1260--all I get is one flash and that's it. The function doesn't recognize that I have a transparency loaded instead of a 2 dimensional print, so no joy. The Windows software recognizes the slide immediately, and activates the slide scanning function.

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]