On Friday 01 August 2003 02:11 pm, fifner the dragon wrote:
> > Fifner, what's your character set ?  - Have a look at
> > /etc/sysconfig/i18n and make adjustments eventually. I would
> > think iso-8859-15 is the best option.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Kaj Haulrich.
>
> Thanks a lot. I think this is getting closer to the solution
> since it's not only gftp that has a problem. Zipping a file is
> also a problem (but not taring them).
>
> In the i18n I couldn't find anything that looked like a
> character set. What I have is:
>
> SYSFONTACM=iso15
> LC_TELEPHONE=sv_SE
> LC_CTYPE=en_US
> LANGUAGE=en_US:en
> LC_MONETARY=sv_SE
> LC_ADDRESS=sv_SE
> LC_COLLATE=en_US
> LC_NAME=sv_SE
> LC_PAPER=sv_SE
> LC_NUMERIC=sv_SE
> SYSFONT=lat0-16
> LC_TIME=en_US
> LC_MEASUREMENT=sv_SE
> LANG=en_US
> LC_MESSAGES=en_US
> LC_IDENTIFICATION=sv_SE
>
> Should I add an entry, and what should that be?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fifner

Hmm... strange. To me it looks like a babylonic confusion of
languages, Fifner. It seems you prefer Swedish, so maybe that's
the cause. For example : LANG=en_US will probably not understand
ä, ö and å. Just for comparison, here's mine :

LC_CTYPE=da_DK
LC_TELEPHONE=da_DK.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=da_DK.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=da_DK.UTF-8:da
LC_MONETARY=da_DK.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=da_DK.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE=da_DK.UTF-8
LC_NAME=da_DK.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=da_DK.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=da_DK.UTF-8
SYSFONT=lat0-16
LC_TIME=da_DK.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=da_DK.UTF-8
LANG=da_DK.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES=da_DK.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=da_DK.UTF-8

I would try to replace all occurences of *en_US* with*sv_SE*, and
add UTF-8 or iso-8859-15 to each line. The UTF-8 isn't perfect,
though, but tolerable. Backup the original file first, just in
case.

HTH

Kaj Haulrich.
--