On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 08:30, Jerry Barton wrote:

> > startx
> >
> If you'd like a easy choice of GUI from the command line without using a graphical
> display manager you might want to use Xtart.
> I don't remember if it installs by default (I _THINK_ it does).  If it's not then
> log in as root and
>
> urpmi Xtart
>
> Personally, I don't use kdm, mdkdm, gdm, xdm etc... It just seems to add an extra
> step that takes more time IMHO.
> The last time I used one I would login from the command line, startx, then log in
> again on the display manager, choose a GUI and hit ok.
> Maybe it's not like that anymore?  I know if i do startx now it just goes straight
> to KDE but I figure that's because I don't use a graphical display manager.  But...
> (and it's getting quite cliche to say this...) that's the great thing about
> GNU/Linux... choice.  :-)
> HTH
>
> Jerry

It's really too bad that Xtart isn't installed by default for the
Mandrake distro; having heaps choices for wm's/desktops is a great
experience for "noobs'n'boobs" - shows more of the advantages to
GNU/linux over the other OS's available for the PC market...

--
Sat Aug  2 16:40:00 EST 2003
 16:40:00 up 1 day, 23:42,  2 users,  load average: 4.20, 3.85, 3.67

===  ALL USERS PLEASE NOTE  ========================

Compiler optimizations have been made to macro expand LET into a WITHOUT-
INTERRUPTS special form so that it can PUSH things into a stack in the
LET-OPTIMIZATION area, SETQ the variables and then POP them back when it's
done.  Don't worry about this unless you use multiprocessing.
Note that LET *could* have been defined by:

        (LET ((LET '`(LET ((LET ',LET))
                        ,LET)))
        `(LET ((LET ',LET))
                ,LET))

This is believed to speed up execution by as much as a factor of 1.01 or
3.50 depending on whether you believe our friendly marketing representatives.
This code was written by a new programmer here (we snatched him away from
Itty Bitti Machines where we was writting COUGHBOL code) so to give him
confidence we trusted his vows of "it works pretty well" and installed it.