On Thursday August 7 2003 04:52 am, David E. Fox wrote:
> > Looks like beta2 was loosed to the world. Some mirrors have it
> > and some don't yet. See the ML home page.
>
> Maybe it's worth it? - don't know. I had a hell of an experience
> getting back from what might be a botched urpmi upgrade from
> beta1. Some file corruption (minor) in /etc and X no longer
> works, among other things. I had issues with kde - conflicts
> between different versions of kdemultimedia, kdenetwork, and so
> forth.

    Most likely a screwed up mirror. Never use --auto to do updates,
try several mirrors. I have 5 cooker mirrors setup as cooker
sources. Use 'edit-urpm-sources.pl' (SMM) to switch to a new
mirror, disabling all others. If urpmi still reports "some packages
can't be installed", or "some packages need to be removed" ... wait
several hours, even days. Almost always the problem will go away.
Don't run cooker unless you're willin to read the CHRPM and cooker
mailing lists each day. Rpm problems are usually quickly reported
on the CHRPM list.

   Do all this and cooker will be more stable and trouble free than
the last final release.  The KDE problem you're referring to was
fixed by another kdebase and arts update just a few hours later. No
XFree problems have been reported, so most likely X failing for you
was/is a hardware and/or configuration problem.