Hy, I had to reinstall Linux Mandrake 6.0 after some
hardware problems. This caused some new problems. It
functioned wonderfully until this reinstall. Please
advise me. This is an ASUS p5a mainboard, amd k6-2 400
cpu, 64mb ram, usrobotics modem (that has always
worked well with Linux).
Problems:
1. I cant use kde or gnome except as root. I  have
root plus two users, joe and moe.
  When I try to run joe in kde, i get the message
"A new kde version has been reinstalled. The template
may have changed. Do you want to install a new one?
Yes or No" Regardless of my choice, this is followed
by another message,
"Could not create ~./kde/share/apps/kfm/magic"
Then, it hangs, and nothing else happens. Sometimes I
see a quick flash of icons.
  With Moe, I get icons, but nothing happens when I
use them.
    Neither joe nor moe work with gnome. They do work
with Windowmaker, but I wants me kde and gnome.

2. Kppp dial-up is slowslowslow. It tries several
times and finally connects, consuming maybe ten
minutes inthe process. After that, the internet is
really slow, downloading at less than 1 k per second.
3. In kppp, there is no sound of dialing, no noise of
two modems negotiating a connection.
Any ideas other than reinstall?
Thanks, steve w

=====