I have posted several strange problems I have had with my LinuxMandrake
installation on a PIII 450 I have. Strangely enough none of them actually
stop linux from running but caused considerable inconvenience in many
ways. I am about to the point where I think I should perhaps reinstall
everything. However I am not sure that would do it. Here is a list of the
the problems I have mentioned and some new ones:

Linux loads VERY slowly compared to RedHat on an old 486, once loaded
however the startup process is normal and generally the machine appears
to run OK. LILO also loads very slowly before that, and I can no longer
get DOS to load at all from LILO (it says loading DOS and nothing
happens).

I have had some intermittent problems with screen freezes in KDE under
one of two conditions, either while scrolling a window quickly with the
scroll tab or when the machine is left alone for several hours.

Now the kicker. I decided to see if upgrading to 6.1 would help before I
went to more desperate measures. The machine will NOT boot from either
the CDROM or the floppy (yes I did set the bios boot sequence to allow
that). It will wait a LONG time and then go on to boot from the C drive.

I must say I am getting very frustrated and feel clueless at this point.
I have looked around in the bios settings to see if something is
obviously wrong but haven't found it.

If anyone can help me figure this out I would greatly appreciate it. I
know several suggestions were made previously to some of the individual
problems I posted, but perhaps this more total picture of my mess might
help clarify the underlying problem(s). I suspect that some combination
of incorrect bios settings , hardware, and/or disk corruption may be to
blame.

Regards,

Eric Mings Ph.D.