Michael Lothian wrote:

Well I'm with freeserve and no problems here

So it could be my end. On the otherhand what phone number do you use, I have, 147008089933265 147008089916163 147008089916001 in kppp.

Mozilla wouldn't touch your dial up any security would go over tcp/ip and would have nothing do with the physical conection

could postfix have a bearing ?

Aslo when your on the phone do you get a lot of static or noise?

No, it's good and quiet , no crackles, whistles, howls, and with normal dial tone, clear as a bell.
I simply don't believe the line quality is at fault, nor do BT my line provider.

Also does that mean you live outside an ADSL exchange?

Experience shows that ADSL lines locally are not worth the candle
even if you could afford the cost.They ought to be better than they are.
Don't know why. I guess usage is dependent on equipement.
But no, we can obtain ADSL at a price, but the quality of improvement over the cost increase isn't worth it anyway.

Mike

John Richard Smith wrote:

Personally , I think it's mostly due to a lack of equipement to cater for demand by my ISP, , Freeserve anytime, but I have to be aware of the possibilities of problems with my end.

First they blamed it on BT, said the line was faulty, so then I get BT to carry out line tests, they report a good line , no problems.

Then when I report that to Freeserve they say, it's due to my modem, which in fairness was very hot due to the weather, but I still have doubts about that accusation, for one thing the fall in the quality of service predates the heatwave,
plus I've now rigged a temporary 8cm case fan straight onto the chips and they are now cool enough, and still no improvement.

Then it occures to me that it might be something to do with my ISP rejecting my connection due to some sort of security increase due to me installing Mozilla1.4 with all it's increase security packages.I'm not really confident about it, but I have to explore the possibility , that is all.

I'm affraid there are no cheap broadband packages available to me.
I shall have to put up with dialup.
I can switch to another ISP, and may well do so, but I want to be sure first that it is my ISP lack of equipement to service the demand that really is the problem.

I suppose it might help if I could get the computer to cough up some reason why the ISP connection fails so often.

Michael Lothian wrote:

Get cheep broadband ;)

My exchange gets enabled on the 3rd of September and it's as cheep as freephone dial up.

Going back to your question no these have nothing to do with mozilla but are far more elikely due to the heat.

I'm in Edinburgh and it's still roasting here so much so that I was getting graphical errors in Windows.

What isp are you with anyway and what time were you connecting at?

Mike

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]