On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> Linux loads VERY slowly compared to RedHat on an old 486, once loaded
> however the startup process is normal and generally the machine appears
> to run OK. LILO also loads very slowly before that, and I can no longer
> get DOS to load at all from LILO (it says loading DOS and nothing
> happens).

I have the same symptom here when I first boot up my computer.
However, I go ahead and walk away from the 'puter and let it get into
Linux and then I hit CTL+ALT+DEL and reboot and it starts up VERY
quickly. For some reason when it first boots up, I get something like
2 Bogomips. But, when I reboot, I get 198 bogomips. I don't know why,
but I have to do that initial reboot. Give that a shot!
> I have had some intermittent problems with screen
> freezes in KDE under one of two conditions, either while
> scrolling a window quickly with the  scroll tab or when the
> machine is left alone for several hours.

Scrolling sounds like a video card problem. The locking after being
left alone sounds like hardware APM. Turn off APM and see if that
doesn't help.

> Now the kicker. I decided to see if upgrading to 6.1
> would help before I  > went to more desperate measures. The machine
> will NOT boot from either  > the CDROM or the floppy (yes I did set
> the bios boot sequence to allow  > that). It will wait a LONG time
> and then go on to boot from the C drive. >

Hmm...strange. *shrug* At this point, it probably wouldn't hurt to
wipe the system and reinstall.... might have to get a Windows floppy
(IF it'll boot from that!) and wipe the system that way!
        John