> "James P. Jendrzejewski" wrote:
>
> Good day,
>     I am having a problem with Netscape while running Linux Mandrake
> 6.5. I have set up my ppp and can connect to my ISP. After clicking to
> open Netscape I get the nice "Welcome to Mandrake Linux" Screen, but
> when I attempt to go to the Netscape Home, or any other site, I get
> the following error message.
>  -----Unable to connect to the server. Perhaps there is a problem with
> your name server?  If your site must use a non-root name server, you
> will need to set the $SOCKS_NS environment variable to point at the
> appropriate name server, It may (or may not) be necessary to set this
> variable, of the SOCKS host preference, to the IP address of the host
> in question rather than it's name.----
>     I have set the hosts.allow to my ISP's server and the Host.deny to
> ALL. I have searched for the socket files that might contain a
> reference to Netscape but have not found anything.
>     I am running a stand alone 100MHz Pentium with a USR 33.6 external
> modem on ttyS1 (have tried the cua also). Localhost name remains the
> same as installed and so is the address 127.0.0.1.
> Thanks in advance.
>     James

First, turn off HTML posting.  It wastes bandwidth and it's impossible
to read.

Second, you can fix the Netscape problem by editing /etc/resolv.conf and
inserting a pair of lines listing your ISPs nameservers like:

        search <isp_domain>
        nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Last, the /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny refer to services you
provide from /etc/inetd.conf.  You can use hosts.allow and hosts.deny to
limit the machines that can connect to those services.  You can find
information about the files in 'man 5 hosts_access'.

Hope this helps!

--
Steve Philp
Network Administrator