On Monday 11 Aug 2003 5:00 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:
> Michael Lothian wrote:
> >> Yes that's true but the cost is considerably more, the quality of
> >> service improvement not that much higher, and in my case I have to
> >> buy 4 new modems  just to get started.
> >
> > What exactly is your setup?
>
> I have 3 computer, and my wife has hers and several of my daughters
> each have computers that float in and out according to presence in
> the family.I don't propose upgrading them, but the 4 that sit at home
> will all need one ADSL  each.

No. You just need one ADSL router and connect the computers to it via
Ethernet. You get the bonus that all of the computers can be accessing
the Internet at the same time, and Linux likes Ethernet better than
ADSL modems. Added to which the router can be your firewall, giving you
one place to set everything up, and nobody is going to break the
security by fiddling with their computer.

The one I use is http://www.solwise.co.uk/modems.htm#SAR110 (the 715 is
easier to set up.)

> I have concidered building a serverbox
> to link via  lans to each but right now that is beyond my ability,
> though I don't rule it out for the future, but bear in mind I didn't
> even own a computer 3 years ago. I would like a server box though,
> would be fun to muck around with.

No need for a server box, and the LAN part is dead simple.

> So right now we wait until the price of these high speed internet
> connections are ready for the mass market.

For an excellent comparative review of the various companies offering
ADSL see http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ I'm with Nildram both at work
(2MB) and at home (512k) and I can recommend them, not the cheapest
though (£23pm with dynamic IP, £30 with static IP).

All in all ADSL is more expensive than dial-up, but (in my opinion) is
well worth the extra cash. A month after getting it you'll be wondering
how you did without it.

--
Richard Urwin