> On Friday 15 August 2003 17:37, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> > Through the years I've noticed that quite a few people on this
> > great list dual boots Windows occasionally. I've never had
> > Windows on my box - and never will.
> >
> > But right now I have a problem : My oldest daughter just started
> > in college and her math teacher demands her to buy a program
> > called *Derive*. It's a math program from Texas Instruments and
> > I've visited their website just to find out it's a Windows app
> > only - no Unix/Linux version.
> >
> > Well, my daughters scuttled their preinstalled Windows-crap when
> > they bought their computers and are using Linux on a daily basis
> > with no problems insofar. So I told them - maybe a little too
> > enthusiastic - that Linux can do anything, including running
> > Windows applications through an emulator.
> >
> > So I just installed wine and downloaded the *Derive* program.
> > This seems to be a file called *setup.exe*. Then, I typed *wine
> > setup.exe* and everything seemed OK until it ask me for a
> > *folder* for installation. The screen suggest strange *folders*
> > like *c:\programs* etc.. (???) - I don't have such *folders*, so
> > I typed : /usr/share/derive (having created that *folder* of
> > course. But the program doesn't seem able to find any *folders*
> > on my system, no matter what I type.
> >
> > The man pages for wine do not mention this problem, but I'm
> > confident some of you can help me out on this - probably very
> > trivial - hiccup.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Kaj Haulrich.

you got me curious so I d/l the trial version of Derive, with crossover office
1.3.5 it crashes with an error message about VBOX, so no go there, but with
Win4Lin  (with Win98) it installs properly and will open and close the
included files.
As to whether it will "work" I can't comment as it's about 30 years since I
studied maths/statistics so I can't remember enough about the subject  (hangs
head in shame) to try to work with it.
HTH
--
http://www.poogle.co.uk