a lot of people, friends using more 'hardcore' distros like Slackware advertise kernel recompilation. I myself chose Mandrake because I don't want to get into low level stuff a lot ... I just want a cool linux box. However ... I'm wondering; is such a thing hard? Maybe it's like maybe 5 commands and it's automagically done. I don't know. Is it? And is it worth it? I hear that it would bring custom optimizations especially for my hardware. Would this be true/worth it? What kind of optimizations could I be expecting for a Athlon K7 550Mhz. Should I? Would there be a signifiant speed increase? If so, and if it's not very hard/impossible for Mandrake ... where could I find a walkthrough on this? ... oh, and in case soemthing goes bad ... is there a way to recover from such a low level deed?