First, let me apologize if this email comes out looking funky and you can't read
it.  I am posting from my webmail at linux-start.com.  In the past people ignored my
email because it only read as on long line.  I don't know what causes this or how to
fix it.

        Second, I am having problems getting NMB services to work correctly on my
linux box.  I am using the Mandrake 6.0 distribution with the SAMBA distribution that
came with Mandrake.  The first time I booted into this distribution NMB came up [OK]
on boot up.  Yet, after connecting to the network with netconf NMB comes up [FAILED]
at boot up.  I think I may have isolated the problem. (But then again I could be
totally wrong since my network experience is limited.)  I connect to the NT domain
with DHCP.  If there is any DHCP SAMBA issues out there, I am unaware of them.  But
when I run the command /usr/bin/smbclient -L (the computer's hostname)
I get a message saying that SAMBA failed to get the hostname.  Could this resolution
problem be due to DHCP?  I don't have a hostname on the NT server because I let DHCP
connect my computer to the NT domain and receive a temporary IP address that way. (Or
at least thats is how I think it works. Once again, my knowledge of networks is
limited)  Also, when I say (the computer's hostname), I am refering to the hostname
without the domain name in it, or the name of the computer.  I tried to use another
computers name that I know of on the NT Domain and I got the same messages, except
that the unresolvable hostname was that of the computer I was trying to connect to.
Therefor, I assumed the problem was due to DHCP and resolving of the hostname.

        I apologize if this does not make alot of sense, but it does not make a lot of
sense to me either.  Yet, I would really appreciate any help that anyone could give me
to help me resolve this matter.

Thanx in advance,
SA
------