I should have mentioned in my 1st email that i have played with xset
(which sets accelleration like in the kcontrol) but it's actually the
initial (non-accelerated) speed that i am trying to change.

I did fire up kcontrol (even though i am not in kde): it does have my
xset setting in there...

thanks,
eric