I arrived at work to find messages about EXT3FS errors sprawled across
the monitor. Getting a login prompt and trying to log in, it sounds like
there a gremlin inside the computer laughing at me evilly (heee heee heee).

This sounds really bad.

So it can't be rebooted. It says Error reading block 474 (Attempt to
read block from filesystem resulted in short read) while doing inode
scan.

/dev/hda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY (i.e., without -a
or -p options)

So, if I run fsck and get Error reading block (short read again) and
asks to ignore error. Yes is default and it goes again with a different
inode number.

Is there any hope, or is it fried?

Todd
--
Name that tune #17: So you say there's a race of men in the trees; you're
for tough legistlation.