O.K.  Last week I installed 9.1 on a firends Compaq Presario 905us.  After
installing expert with the "Linux noauto nomce noisapnp" switches I actually
got the install to complete, and everything worked but usb and the Realtek
8139 card.  After getting random crashes I added to the lilo.conf's append
line "ide=nodma" and the crashes during normal use went away.  After choosing
the Realtektoo mod, the Realtek works now, but usb is still a no go.
Additionally, the dvd-rom is seen as an Atapi CD-Rom, so some of its
functions don't work either.

USB is the hangup right now, and it is a serious one.  I can do a "modprobe
usbcore, modprobe usb-ohci, and modprobe usb-storage".  No errors, and the
modules appear to be inserted, but shortly after and KDE locks up hard,
requiring an "alt/sysrq/X".  Error messages in the logs are non-existent for
this crash, but on screen during the sysrq sequence, I see

I/O error, dev 03:05 (hda), sector 5775824  INIT: cannot execute
"sbin/shutdown"

alt/sysrq/b is the only way out, and reboot always results in an "operating
sytem not found" error.   A cold reboot brings the return of lilo.

Boot errors are limited to

PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:10:0

Anyone know what this is?

Another is

Boot Imige: /dev/hda1 > ide/host 0/bus 0/target0/lun0/part1
Fatal:Kernel doesn't support initial RAM disks

Is this a scsi emu error associated with the DVD ROM?  Should I recompile and
be certain scsi emu is built-into the kernel?

Also

EXT3-fs error (device ide0 (3,5) in start_transaction:
Journal has aborted
: Read failure inode=372431 block=755259

No clue here-can anyone help?

I think the problem is the ALI chipset in this machine.  It doesn't appear to
be fully supported, (ALI Northbridge caution message at begining of boot) and
the USB is a nightmare.

I tried booting a known working Knoppix disk, and it wouldn't boot.  I didn't
try any of the boot switches, though, because Knoppix obviously didn't like
this piece of crap either.

Any help at all would be appreciated.  BTW, W2K runs fine, but XP crashed
randomly on this machine, according to the owner--hence the reformat and
install of W2K.