All:

I installed Opera and a menu item appeared in the Networking > W W W menu, which initially worked with the Gnome desktop. After some days it the menu item caused a "launching" button to appear in the taskbar (panel?) but this then vanished without the Opera browser appearing.

I included OpenOffice.org in the initial installation a couple of weeks ago but had not used it until a few days ago. It too showed a "launching" item in the taskbar but after a few minutes it disappeared.

Why are app items in menus failing to launch apps? They launch okay from a terminal window.

Should menus work the same in both KDE and Gnome? For example, if I install an RPM package under Gnome which adds a menu item, will that menu item still be present in KDE? I ask becaause I use both KDE and Gnome at whim.

Also, I downloaded pfaEdit, a font designer and editor like FontoGrapher. It was a *.tar.gz file, not an RPM file so did not install into menus.

Somebody told me there was a MenuDrake but I can't see (a) how to edit existing menu items or (b) how to add new menu items. It is partly a matter of terminology, as the Linux conventions are different from Windows and Mac OS terms.

Regards, Hedley

Setup: Mandrake Linux 9.1, Dell GR260 w. Dell monitor, Pentium 4 2.4 GHz, dual boot with Windows XP Professional and Linux partitions

Hedley Finger
   User documentation and technical writing
   Adobe(R) Certified Expert, FrameMaker 5.5
Hand Holding Projects Pty Ltd   ABN 98 007 418 153
   Technical  consultancy for electronic publishing
   28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia
   Tel +61 3 9809 1229   Mobile +61 412 461 558
   E-mail mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]