> no it means they will put the system back exactly the way it was when
> you got it from teh dealer.  What sucks is you can't reinstall XP w/out

This seems to be the case with Dell, too.

The corporate IT wants ease of tech support - they want to be able to
define just exactly what a specific model of Dell is - software,
hardware, addon's, and so forth. They don't want you "tinkering" and
probably people have voided the warranty by opening up the case on said
systems.

The good news - maybe - is that warranty law forbids daid companies from
adding these types of conditions to their warranty. At least that's my
understanding, but IANAL and one should seek competent legal advice to
see what your rights may be.

But they do want to have a cookie-cutter approach. I first found this
when I temped in early 2001 at a local high-tech co. had contracted to
have a whole bunch of dell mini-towers and it was opined that each and
every machine was a 100% duplicate inside and out.

But of course this begs the question -- computer VARs and system houses
are free to change out any and all components at a whim, depending on
piece cost and availability. They'll say "10/100 NIC is included" and it
is either a) on the motherboard or b) any one of a hundred different
cards, depending on who can ship in 10000s quantity by next week. :)

I learned the hard way. 1991 was the last year I bought a "all in one"
type PC. Packard Hell it was. I'll never buy another all in one PC
again. I've assembled the last few systems from piece parts, and I tend
to upgrade in stages, moving as needed any newer items (drives etc) to
the new system.