That is all true BUT I have been running Linux for 3 years now with no special software and I have not been cracked or had any virii or security problems of any kind. I think you'll find that most of your security concerns just "melt away" just by switching to Linux. It is sad really, Linux lulls you into a (false?) sense of security after a while. Windows is insecure by design, Linux is not, that is the key.

Cheers

Jason