On Thursday 28 Aug 2003 5:55 am, Russ wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for the responses.
>
> I tried "https://localhost:10000"; but the connection was refused.

You need to install the webmin package first.

> Besides, I know next to nothing about various types of connections and
> whatnot. So trying to set this firewall up manually would be a disaster.
> ZoneAlarm was quick and easy "Do you want this program to access the
> net? yes or no" nuff said.

The Firewall GUI in Mandrake Control Centre could not be easier.
On or Off!

> Before I asked I did do a search for firewall programs. There are many.
> I was looking at Firestarter and Guarddog. Each seem to want Gnome or
> KDE. Are these required simply to configure but still works while logged
> into the other (KDE or Gnome)?

You can use either under KDE or Gnome. Firestarter is prettier and has a nice
wizard. They are both in the 'Contrib' section of Mandrake mirrors. Go here
http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/index.php and follow the instructions to add a
Contrib urpmi software source (add  'update, 'plf' and 'Texstar' sources too
while you are there)
Your Mandrake Control Centre Software Manager will then have access to
hundreds of online packages including Firestarter and GuardDog.

> Is one better than the other? or is it six of one and half a dozen of
> the other? Any other possible candidates?

They all are just front ends for the same firewall function built into the
Linux kernel. They all work, and are all better than any Windows firewall.

> I am on a cable modem with a router that connects 2 computers to the
> modem (if that matters)
>
> Thanks for any help
> Russ

derek