From: Tom Brinkman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 2:22 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] 9.1 X server startup/shutdown slow - ReiserFS?

On Monday September 1 2003 09:19 pm, Guy Rouillier wrote:
> System Commander trashed my hard disk when I attempted to resize
> my Win2K NTFS partition, so I'm forced to reinstall everything,
> including Linux on that same drive.  This time around, I decided
> to try out ReiserFS as my root file system.  During setup, I
> configured boot options, but after doing so, the installation
> program never returned.  I rebooted and used drakxconf to install
> my X server.  When I start up X in KDE, it starts up very slowly,
> and actually never puts up the desktop icons.  The cursor remains
> a clock for several *minutes*, but the system is not locked.  I
> can log off of KDE (back to the boot up terminal session) without
> a problem.  If I start up gnome, it starts up okay, including all
> the desktop icons.  But when I try to log off, it won't. I try to
> log off about 5 times in a row.  Eventually, something will get
> it to put up the log off dialog.
>
> Could this be ReiserFS doing this?  Should I switch back to ext2?
>  I played around with XFS in a different installation on this
> same hardware, and it didn't appear to have any issues (other
> than the fact that it defaults to read-only.)  Thanks for all
> advice.

     I'd try another install.  This time make /boot a separate
partition, ext3.  Make your other partitions ReiserFS. I've been
usin ReiserFS since 7.2 beta's never a problem.  If you opt for
XFS, still make an ext3 /boot partition, 20 to 50 mb.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Business Computer Projects - Disclaimer -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

This message, and any associated attachment is confidential. If you have
received it in error, please delete it from your system, do not use or
disclose the information in any way, and notify either Tony S. Sykes
or the postmaster <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  immediately.

necessarily the views of Business Computer Projects Ltd., unless
specifically stated.

Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that emails and their
attachments are virus free, it is the responsibility of the recipient(s)
to verify the integrity of such emails.

Business Computer Projects Ltd
BCP House
151 Charles Street