On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 09:01:05 -0400
Bryan Phinney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> On Wednesday 03 September 2003 08:06 am, HaywireMac wrote:
> > On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 07:49:39 -0400
> >
> > Bryan Phinney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:
> >
> > > 1.  Run Fetchmail as root
> >
> > So, if I were to follow Stephen's advice and use cron instead of
> > inetd, I could just su root and crontab -e to create an entry
> > then....?
>
> Or use Webmin, if you prefer the easy way to do things.

Yes, Webmin is a kickass tool, and cron entries still confuse the hell
out of me. This way I could configure cron thru Webmin, then see what it
spits out to get a better understanding...

> > And fetchmail would call Procmail, and then Postfix would
> > automagically be waiting when Procmail was done it's business? And
> > the hip bone's connected to the... ;-)
>
> IIRC, Fetchmail can pass mail through Procmail like a filter,

like so:?

postconnect "procmail"?

> after passing through, Procmail adds whatever is called for by the
> recipes and then Fetchmail delivers mail back to the local MTA,
> Postfix or Sendmail or whichever MTA you are running.  Also, Fetchmail
> can pass mail to Procmail which can act as an MDA and puts mail
> directly into the maildir folders, if that is the way that it is
> configured.

Not to muddy the waters, but just out of curiosity, I could bypass
Postfix completely?

> > > and pass the mail off through procmail on the way to Postfix.
> > > Procmail runs a /etc/procmailrc recipe as a root service and calls
> > > the nkvir recipe through an include file from that recipe.  You
> > > can also add in Spamassassin and any other filters in this recipe.
> >
> > Ok, so I had it backwards, it's Procmail *b4* Postfix then...
>
> Fetchmail to Procmail to Postfix to var/spool/mail to .forward file

I read in one "quickstart" guide that a .forward file is unnecessary if
using fetchmail...is that correct?

> back to Procmail again and into maildir in the /home/user/mail
> directory.  I think.
> >
> > > 2.  Then the mail goes to Postfix who delivers to local mail box
> > > file,
> > >
> > > /var/spool/mail/user based on aliases or the rewrite done by
> > > fetchmail in the .fetchmailrc file ([EMAIL PROTECTED] is jblow
> > > here).
> >
> > Ya, since I'm already with configuring that on fetchmail I would
> > probably start there, and learn aliases after.
>
> I have more than one POP email address.

Me too. I'm infamous for it, ;-)

> Aliases are useful when you want mail from particular accounts to
> pass to specific user accounts. So, mail from one POP might go to
> postmaster which is aliased to a specific user account but gets
> filtered into a specific folder based on the To info.

But again, that can be done in the fetchmailrc, right? I might stick
with that for now, just to keep it as simple as possible.

> > I am looking at sticking to a strictly global config, assuming that
> > I will allow for a minimal amount of spam to reach the end user. The
> > main thing is to catch *all* attachments that end in .pif, etc.
> >
> > The occasional bit of annoying spam is OK.
>
> Then why worry about the second call to Procmail at all.

Exactly, I use Mailfilter to delete *definite* no-no's right off the POP
server, then Fetchmail --> Postfix --> Procmail will take care of
the rest...

> Simply pass mail from Fetchmail through Procmail with all filtering
> or even pass mail from Fetchmail directly to Postfix which passes mail
> through Procmail on the way to the /var/spool/mail file.  My own setup
> passes mail from Fetchmail to Postfix, through Procmail and then on to
> /var/spool/mail.

> I find that a spamassassin level of 10 has no false positives and
> anything above a 4 is a possible with very few false positives.  So
> above 10 gets sent to spam, above 4 is flagged for further checking
> prior to deletion.  Nkvir gets called first before spamassassin so
> viruses and nigerian stuff doesn't even make it to spamassassin.

I'll add the Spamassassin option in later to *really* kick some spam
butt!

This is where I am still confused, though. In the procmailrc, I am under
the impression that one must specify the maildir like so:

MAILDIR=/var/spool/mail/joehill

but of course, if I am dealing with mail for more than one user, do I
just specify /var/spool/mail and Procmail will know which spool to dump
it in, or is this where aliases come in?

Thanks so much for your time and explanations, I *am* reading the docs
at the same time, but as I always say, it is one thing to RTFM, it is
another to UTFM!

--
HaywireMac
Registered Linux user #282046