On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 18:56:37 -0500
Tom Brinkman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

>    Do you have all of aRts installed?
> libarts1-devel-1.1.3-7mdk   (might not need)
> arts-1.1.3-7mdk
> libarts1-1.1.3-7mdk
>   (not necessarily those versions)

kickarts-0.4-3tex
arts-1.1.3-1tex
xmms-arts-0.4-8mdk
gstreamer-artsd-0.6.0-3mdk
libarts-1.1.3-1tex

>   Then check with
> $ ps -A |grep arts   (and you'll see somethin like...)
>  9234 ?        00:00:13 artsd

Ya, I set it to start with my X startup script.

> $ ll /dev/dsp   (should be somethin similar to this)
> lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root            9 Sep  3 15:34 /dev/dsp ->
> sound/dsp
>     (ie, _x_ecutable by by owner, group, all users)

 Yep.

>     Normally artsd does run all the time, but only uses the sound
> service when needed, then releases. This of course depends on your
> configuration. Bruce it might be better if you read this, specially
> the part, "non-aRts applications", "..  suspends after 60 seconds,
> it doesn't for me?"

It just says not to use full duplex, which I do not.

> http://www.arts-project.org/doc/mcop-doc/artsd-faq.html
>    an browse this
> http://www.arts-project.org/doc/manual/index.html
>     I believe there's a way to reduce the suspend aRts time from
> 60s, but since I never needed it, I'm not familiar with it. Sorry.

Ya, you just add the -s switch to the command line and specify the time
in seconds.

>    Facts are, there's no one Linux sound solution. Maybe one'a
> Linux's weakest points.  Sound on Linux (Un*x) is a hodgepodge.
> Video's not a whole lot different. Better manufacturer support
> would probly go a long way to solve it and make it seamless for the
> user. Until then, Windoze is for games. It's gotta be good for
> somethin, no? ;)  At least as long as M$ has the hardware
> manufacturers in their pocket.

I hear ya. The funny thing is, it's only certain games that are
affected, and now that I tried running artsd at X startup, those games
get no sound from the get-go, even if I don't run mplayer. It's the iD
games, quake and the like. Medal of Honour, Unreal Tournament, they have
no problemo with sound if I use the artsd.

I'm going to check into that aspect of it more, because they must do
something different in the way they handle sound than other games.

Weird.

Thanks much for the tips, I'll keep hackin' away at it.

--
HaywireMac
Registered Linux user #282046