On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 13:47, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> On Friday 05 September 2003 01:26 pm, ed tharp wrote:
>
> > when I installed w2k the (only) last 3 times, it did not mess with lilo,
> > just added it's boot loader to the windows selection of lilo. I was
> > hoping for the same result again.
>
> I am surprised but have never shared that experience.  The 3 times that I have
> installed Windows after I had installed Linux (all WinXp and I am VERY
> ashamed to admit having done so), lilo was always wiped out completely and
> replaced by nt bootloader.  If W2000 doesn't do this, it's news to me.
maybe the fact that winme was first installed, then additional linux
partitions then the install of win2k.

/dev/hda7             7.1G  2.9G  3.9G  43% /
/dev/hdc5             4.9G  2.2G  2.7G  46% /home
/dev/hda4             4.3G  2.4G  1.9G  57% /mnt/nt
/dev/hda1              28G   17G   12G  61% /mnt/win_c
/dev/hdc6             4.7G  2.2G  2.6G  46% /mnt/win_c2
/dev/hda6             8.6G  1.4G  7.3G  16% /mnt/win_d
/dev/hda8             2.8G  1.1G  1.7G  39% /var

>   In
> fact, there is a detailed howto that explains how to create a dual boot
> system with Linux and Windows that uses the Windows bootloader that involves
> installation to a second partition, using a boot floppy to boot Linux, making
> a copy of the boot image, putting it on the C: drive and rigging boot.ini to
> see it as a boot option.
I can understand that, but I want to (and have for some long time) use
lilo to boot different kernels and windows is a single choice, and that
loads the windows boot loader, where I chose between winME and win2k.
I wonder if fixboot might be more what I want than fixmbr. since the mbr
is fine and points to lilo. do you know what fixboot does?

> I have not done this myself as Lilo is more convenient and supports Win, but
> others have.  In fact, at least on one machine that I have tried this with,
> if you rig the BIOS to boot from the hd first and put the Mandrake Linux boot
> cd in the drive and then try to boot into WinXP, XP locks hard and refuses to
> boot.  I can duplicate that one at will on my machine at home.
that is a new one on me. I would only guess what is 'really' happening
in the autostart feature on the CDrom are tying up resources (irq and
dma) while XP wants those same resources. I know I do not have any such
problem. but w2k, not XP.

Mandrake HowTo's & More: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org