Hello Russ,

Sunday, September 7, 2003, 7:45:44 AM, you wrote:

R> I was having a discussion with an avid Mac user about viruses. He
R> claims there are no viruses for Macs because of the built in
R> security features  (Mac is also a Unix based system like Linux).
R> The Mac OS does have a  huge following so these script kiddies
R> could target them as well. They  don't because they can't get in.
R> Windows vulnerability is what makes it  the target, not it huge
R> user base (thats just icing on the cake).

It is harder, but there's more to it. First, the base is important
just for bragging rights ["I got 35,000 zombies this week. How many
did you get?"]. It makes the numbers game much easier - for both the
14-year-olds-over-the-summer and the real crooks.

Also easier in Win. There is much readily available code for the
taking - well commented and easily changed to get a 'new' virus.
Little talent required for the change, even though the original might
have required quite a bit of knowledge.

For many kids, it is just another kind of game, and it is made
possible by the readily available virus 'kits'. MANY fewer kits for
Mac/linux, plus the much smaller base = much less interest.

--

 rikona                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]