On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 16:04, Merlin Zener wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 23:21, Eric Huff wrote:
> > > I've tried, only that I have no place to type
> > > in'root'. The first dialog is for choosing the user (apparently by
> > > icon clicking). There is no edit box for typing. However, I've clicked
> > > the dialog and type 'root'. No effect.
> >
> > It is best not to log in as root in the GUI.  There's just so many more
> > ways to mess things up...
> >
> > It's best to log into a user, then su to root.  You can still run GUI
> > progs.
> >

> I wonder:
> would you mind pointing me to a doc or a URL that explains the levels of
> users and what they can/can't do, and how to set/adjust access etc?
>
> For example, I've found that I can't create new directories in
> Konqueror, even if I open a text window and "SU" there, it doesn't seem
> to update the permissions for the Konqueror window. I could do it in the
> text only window, but that involves a bunch typing to navigate up and
> down through the directories to get where I already was in the other
> window [if you know what I mean:)]
>
> The other thing I was thinking of doing was setting it up so my
> girlfriend can sign in with her own name and password, so she can use it
> to play her karaoke and VCD movies etc, and not mess up my desktop and
> stuff [I don't know why, but every time I come home there's something
> different...]
sure as heck, why did you not already do it?

> Why? 'Cause I heard you could... :)
and it is easer to do one time, than to rest your stuff the way you want
1 time.

> TIA
>

> --
> Merlin Zener.

I ain't sure just where the info you want is, but all kinds of info is
available in /usr/share/doc.
now if you use the superuser filemangler you should be able to work in
the GUI as you wish, in KDE; Kmenu, >Applications, >file tools,
Filemangler Superuser