rikona wrote:
Hello Margot,

Sunday, September 7, 2003, 12:39:39 AM, you wrote:

M> Some people don't have a choice - they may be working for
M> unenlightened employers and using the list from work, or maybe
M> (like me last year)  they are using the list from an old (M$) PC
M> while trying to get the  internet connection working on Mandrake.

Even if you can't get away completely, it is wise to use as little M$
virusware as possible - NO M$ software other than the OS if you can.
There are excellent alternatives to the junk M$ offers.

Doing so will decrease the virus/security/privacy issues by a huge
amount. It is well worth the effort.

If you can't leave M$, then get as far away as possible.

I have relegated the Win98 PC to a dark corner. It gets dusted off and switched on once a week, when I have to use IE6 to access one of my bank accounts because the bank's software runs on M$ with ActiveX controls. They say this is for "security reasons" (!) - I'm still trying to persuade them that for "security reasons" I should be able to access my account using linux - no luck so far, but I'm still working on it!

Margot