Hi everybody! :)

Here is the conclusion to my problem story ;)

I finally got my WinXP CD (w/ my luggage) back from the airline...  So I
could finally try the "fixmbr" utility, but without success.  Also,
Partition Magic told me that a couple of things were screwed up and
prompted me whether to repair them, which I confirmed.  Then I could
mount the partition from within Linux, and see how "screwed up" things
really were... 8-|  So I decided to start from scratch...

In any case, thank you everybody for your nice help and support, even if
my endeavors didn't work as expected, it still was a great way to learn
(a hard way, I have to admit!) but I'm learning fast!  I had to play a
lot with LILO, lilo.conf, fstab, and Knoppix, so it's a good start after
all! :)

Thanks again and see you around...

Mathieu.