Oh man, my poor dad!

He bought a new fully built computer.  It didn't have the blaster patch
yet.  Maybe Dell was lagging.  I'll have to check.  They may be due for
a nasty letter.

Anyway, my dad is computer smart, but doesn't know all the ins & outs of
windows (i don't either...), and with the ultra automated update, the
only way he knew to update was to download the patch.  So, being on
dialup, he got infected while downloading the patch!

He did download and install the patch. But was still having a lot of
trouble.  I had him look at the processes (which you couldn't do on his
older ME machine), so when his computer bogged to a crawl, sure enough
blaster was there churning away.

Let's all thank microsoft for putting out a patch to a problem, but not
adding in virus removal.  By now, they know which virus exploits the
hole. Put the fix in the update!

eric

--
Mandrake HowTo's & More:          http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org

Join the content organization discussion:
http://mandrake.vmlinuz.ca/bin/view/Main/NewIndex

Join the General Wiki Development discussion:
http://mandrake.vmlinuz.ca/bin/view/Main/DevelopingTheMandrakeCommunity#Discussion