Let me start again by saying,  I THINK THE RECORD INDUSTRY IS WRONG IN WHAT
THEY ARE DOING.

If you notice, they are in civil court.  Why, because it is easier to get
what you want in a US Civil court.
You don't need all the jurors to agree, just most of them.  Lower standard
for winning,  easier to settle.

Heywire Mac,

What are your legal qualifications???
You stated <there is a HUGE difference between
theft and copyright violation, that is the way it has been laid down in
law for decades, if not centuries>

I would like to see your case law on that one.  Please post LEGAL REFERENCES
to back up your claims.
Do you know what case law is?  Simply, that is when an issue has already
been proven in court.

I have spend "a few days" in court in my prior career,  Guess what it was.