> Look - if the Recording Industry doesn't want people to steal their
> music (or share it) then:

As I would say - No humming - BMI might be listening. BMI is kinda
similar to RIAA here in the states - only they sue Girl Scouts for
singling allegedly copyrighted songs (public performance) and have
even been known to sue doctors playing CDs in operating rooms...

This is the mentaility of a sue-happy environment -- recently Court TV
anchors would not sing "Happy Birthday" because they thought they might
be sued (allegedly that's a copyrighted song -- you see song credits
in movies for it, despite that it's based on a plagiarized tune, and all
the people did was to change the words... and it took *two* people to
come up with those words!!!

Shouldn't creativity matter whether or not one should consider this
stuff to be copyrightable? I mean, a bunch of n***gg*** playing with
a turntable and going 'you go girl' isn't music, but you'll be sued if
you try and swap their songs.

Compared to most mainstream classical music, most popular music is about
as creative as the aforementioned "happy birthday to you". Fuck copyright
protection..

> 1.) Stop playing it on the radio - it can be copied from there to tape
> or captured to a computer

The US Home Recording act expressly permits non-commercial recording of
this type. It also permits timeshifting (despite the networks'
insistence that anyone with more than one blank tape in their possession
is breaking the law), taping CDs or vinyl for use in the car (record
executives would allege that we're supposed to buy separate copies for
the car). Thank g-d that they haven't discovered computer software-
style licensing, otherwise we would be paying per-seat, multiple CDs, for
each player you use the CD on.

> 3.) Lower prices internationally.

If you lower the prices, then it would be an incentive to buy more
CDs perhaps. Most CDs are *way* overpriced. I can burn a CD for about 15
cents. It's cheaper now to make CDs than it ever has been -- and con-
sequently, there's never been a time in the history of recording when it
has been so cheap and easy to make a copy of a record. I mean, in times
past, you'd have to have a lathe and other capital equipment. Not too long
ago, a large capital investment would be required to make CDs -- but no
longer. That's what is scaring the shit out of the record executives, IMHO.

You don't even have to wait and listen to the music on the radio, just
tune to live365.com :).

How about selling commercial time in the middle of the CDs? Most
commercial CDs have much wasted space; you could insert commercials
in tracks and then that would drive down the price and then the
record execs wouldn't care - they could sell advertising based on the
number of potential listeners, pirates included :).

> stephen kuhn - owner
> illawarra computer services
> a kuhn media australia company

PS. Usenet is next door to kazaa. RIAA will take years to figure that out

: http://kma.0catch.com