John Richard Smith wrote:

Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:

John Richard Smith wrote:

HaywireMac wrote:

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 11:43:14 -0300
"Angus Auld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

<snip>

my day for list Nazi duty.

please set your mailer to wrap at less than 80 characters please!

thank you, come again! :-)

Actually, it's a good question really. I set mine at 68 and still find it stretching out too far to the right sometimes, then inadvertently my finger slips and I return prematurely,which does not make for good layout.

I'm beginning to thing I need something even less than 68, what do other folk use ?

John

72

And do you think that works well?
72 characters is still quite wide , isn't it. It means that by the time 3 or 4 replies to a list question is applied the wrap has become quite small . I know that ought not to matter since the auto wrap shortens it for you provided that it was all one continuous stream in the first place. But if you are like me you sometimes unintentionally , "return" to stop the composer carrying on out of sight of the composer window. So you say widen the composer window, but a composer window set to 72 characters to display all without it disappearing of the screen to the right is quite a wide window. So I wonder whether something around the 60 mark might not be more appropriate for a composer window, after all the list window will just wordwrap to it's requirements, but by having a smaller composer window and fewer characters I'm less inclined to inadvertantly hit the "return" key and thereby spoil the continuous word flow.

John

I've never had any complaints. It's the default for Mozilla.

As far as the inadvertant "return" -- I can't really account for mistakes others may make while composing messages. That's their battle.

--
Brant Fitzsimmons
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Linux user #322847 | Linux machine #207465 | http://counter.li.org/
   AMD Duron 1.3GHz | Mandrake 9.1 | Kernel 2.4.21-0.16mm-mdk
               KDE 3.1.3 | Mozilla 1.4 Mail Client
Uptime:
17:10:00 up 6 days,  4:26,  1 user,  load average: 0.18, 0.24, 0.26

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being
self-evident."
                                -Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)