On Friday 12 September 2003 05:53 pm, Merlin Zener wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm using KPPP to connect to the internet [because it was hanging off
> the start menu, labeled "connect to the internet" and it worked first
> time... :) ]. But it reports that I'm connected at 115200, which I
> expect is the speed my UART is talking to the modem at...
> Is there a way I can find out what speed the modem has connected to the
> ISP at? Often, it seems to connect slowly because of line noise due to
> rain etc, in windoze I could see it if I hovered the mouse over the
> little icon in the system tray. I expect there's some way in Mandrake,
> but I don't know what word to search for....
>
> TIA< again :)
>
> --
> Merlin Zener
> Piano, Synthesizer
> Thailand.

Merlin:
Adding ATW2 as the secondary initialization string in the kppp modem setup
works here. Once you're connected, you can verify connection speed by
clicking on the kppp bar (it's probably called something else -- mine is
labeled "Earthlink"). Clicking on Details will show a graph of recent
activity, but it's a big. For a display that doesn't take up much screen
space, gkrellm is cool.
-- cmg