On Sunday 14 September 2003 01:36 am, David E. Fox wrote:
> > I know it's dangerous. But I do need it now. How to?
>
> Why?
>
> Is the disk full of bad or questionable sectors? AFAIK it's not
> possible with IDE -- that's what some engineers have told me. The
> last time I tried to do it was back in 1993 or thereabouts, with a
> Seagate ST-1144A (126 meg drive) which had started to develop problems
> just after 18 months of use.

I'd have to 2nd this - I've always been told to reformat an IDE drive, not
low-level though, leave that to SCSI drives. I'm told it can actually destroy
and IDE drive and render it useless. My understanding is, that under that
*other* OS, when you pick format, its actually saying "partition".... :-)

--

                                                          /\
                                                Dark><Lord