On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 19:03, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 01:01, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I use Evolution on my main box and just updated my laptop to the latest
> version.  For some reason the laptop Evo refuses to recognize the files
> that are backed up from the main machine.  How to I get them
> synchronized?
>
> Rich

It sounds like a perms problem.

If you've put the evolution subdirectory back into your
/home/yournamehere directory, you should su to root, then do:

chown -R mylogin:mylogin evolution

...this would then change the permissions to YOUR permissions; once
you've done that, then fire up Evolution again.

I'm assuming that when you backed up Evo you did back up that entire
subdirectory structure, yes?

A trick I use to make Evo run a tad bit faster is to put the evolution
subdirectory structure on a faster drive (SCSI) and create a link to it
from my /home/mynamehere directory - this also makes for doing great
automagic backups without disturbing other bits'n'bobs...

I'm still having a problem getting the laptop version of Evo to recognize the files from the desktop version.  The files are copied from the floppy to the laptop but when Evolution is activated, the new files are immediately replaced by the original empty files! It took me awhile to realize what was happening.  The copied files are about 80 kB but when Evo pops up, they're back to 579k.  Why won't the laptop Evo recognize the new files?  The permission problems have been addressed.

Rich
--
  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>