On Friday 19 Sep 2003 8:13 am, Margot wrote:
> My clock is set to the right timezone (London), and shows roughly the
> right time, but I have to remember to reset it once a week because it
> gains around 10 minutes a week.
>
> It is annoying, because I look at the clock on the screen, get the
> approximate time, then have to get up from my desk and go across the
> room to find out what the exact time is - I've moved the furniture so I
> can't see another clock from here!
>
> Is there some way of adjusting the clock so it stays right? Or do I have
> to use the workaround and remember to wear my watch?
>
> Margot

Install the ntp package
In /etc/ntp/step-tickers  put in the name of 1 or more public time servers
such as
ntp2a.mcc.ac.uk
salmon.maths.tcd.ie

Make sure the ntpd service is set to run at boot.

That will calibrate your clock to an atomic clock every time you boot.
If you run 24/7 you might want continuous adjustment as well. To do that edit
/etc/ntp.conf to include the lines

server ntp2a.mcc.ac.uk    # Manchester University
server salmon.maths.tcd.ie # Trinity College Dublin

You can check the operation of ntp with ntptime and ntptrace
Note :ntp will take 15 minutes before it starts working, and will *slowly*
pull your clock into line with the public servers.
You can find a list of public servers here
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.html

HTH

derek

--