On Friday 19 September 2003 09:49 pm, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> OTOH, it wouldn't be too hard to phrase it into their existing contracts
> that they can TRY to eliminate viruses tranferred as EXE, PIF, COM and
> SCR files - that wouldn't be too hard to do given the philosophy that
> you do not send people EXE, PIF, COM or SCR files as a matter of
> etiquette commonly...that way, they'd be able to legally filter those
> files yet maintain enough "distance" legally from the customer in case
> of a "disaster"...don't ya reckon?

Well, when we add in the additional problem, that they are dealing with a
largely computer-ignorant public, who are dumb enough to run windows in the
first place, then connect without a good firewall/antivirus solution
installed, then don't apply the proper patches to at least get the terribly
inept level of security that MS does offer, and who are dumb enough to click
on attachments in the first place, the situation may not be quite as simple
as just explaining that there are no guarantees.

I think that were I in that position, I would not want to go to court in the
US and depend on a jury of 12 people, selected based on their ignorance of
the issues, feeling sorry for someone who was obviously in waaaay over their
head, and whining to the jury about how he shouldn't be responsible and he
didn't need to take care of things himself, because "lookie right here, it
says that they remove viruses in the brochure."

Not to mention the morons who complain that their buddy sent them a
self-extracting archive (.exe) that they didn't get the 10th time and they
are only just now figuring out why the attachment keeps getting deleted, and
they were depending on those files for a big presentation and are going to
sue because of the lost income.  If people can rack up legal fees suing the
AOL's of the world for blocking spam, just think of the joys of litigating
failures, either way, of virus screening.

"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer