On Thursday 25 Sep 2003 11:21 am, Maureen L. Thomas wrote:
> Can anyone point me to a comprehensive article, book, etc. for Linux and
> DHCP.  It seems that my computer, when conected to my DSL changes the
> host name on my computer.  When I disconnect it returns to normal.  Any
> ideas  on how I can change it so that it doesn't do it ?  TIA, Maureen

No need for a book to answer that question.

All you have to do is go through the wizard in MandrakControlCentre>Networking
Select Expert mode and then uncheck the box to get host name from dhcp.

Note after exiting the Wizard with 'Finish' Exit the drakconnect GUI with
'Cancel' or else your changes will be lost. (Bug 1881 is **still** not fixed
:-(  )

Alternatively you can edit the config file directly.
Edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0  and delete the line
saying NEEDHOSTNAME

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net