http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.24

Your Linksys may be one of two different chipsets, both handled by the
tulip driver.

Now for the CD-ROM, if it is SCSI, it is understandable that it might
not be working after install unless you made sure the system detected
and loaded all SCSI Drivers.  It is also inderstandable if it is an
IDE working off a third IDE channel attached to a soundcard.  I went to
the Panasonic Tech Support site and didn't find that model number
listed, not even in the old devices.  I do know that there were some,
long ago, on a 34-pin interface (Long ago, ancient history, like 1995),
and this might be one of them.....

6.1 is NOT an upgrade option.  You can install 6.1 but do not upgrade.
Install it.  Most of your files and settings will be left intact if you
install without formatting any of the partitions.  If you upgrade, well,
you'll have the same problems people did going from RH 5.0 to 5.1 to
5.2.   There are still optimal ways to set up directories being sought
by vendors, and the location of objects is changing.

And yes, 6.1 is worth it.

Civileme