September 27, 2003 09:47 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
[..]
> > I'm not sure I know what you mean by "running" HardDrake - I've had
> > a look at MCC Sound section, which goes into great detail about the
> > sound card that I haven't got, but there doesn't seem to be an
> > option to delete or change this. Am I looking in the wrong place?
>
> No, you are in the right place.  There are two buttons on the right
> hand side - one of those puts you into a sort of Expert mode which
> will allow you to select your card.  There are warnings about knowing
> what you are doing, but since you do know what you've got you should
> be OK.

> > > If that doesn't work, to get sndconfig to work you will have to
> > > boot into init 3 - at the lilo splash hit Esc, then type linux 3.
> > >  Login as root and try the command again.
> > >
> > > Anne
> >
> > Just tried this. Result: "command not found".
> >
> > I don't understand this - how can a command be "not found"? I could
> > understand it if it said it couldn't RUN the command, but how could
> > I have LOST a command?
>
> As I understand it, sndconfig only works with some types of sound
> card, mainly isa ones, I think. Maybe it was not installed if it
> seemed irrelevant.  Try the MCC way first.  If that doesn't work,
> we'll have to look into this one again.  FWIW, I don't have a
> /usr/sbin/sndconfig either.  Like Ed, I'm inclined to think that it
> may not be installed.  But then it's not under the alphabetical list
> of packages installable, at least under that name.  Help, Ed?
>
> Anne

classic bug sound tester:

"lspcidrake -v | fgrep AUDIO" will tell you which driver your card use
by default

"grep sound-slot /etc/modules.conf" will tell you what driver it
currently uses

"/sbin/lsmod" will enable you to check if its module (driver) is
loaded or not

"/sbin/chkconfig --list sound" and "/sbin/chkconfig --list alsa" will
tell you if sound and alsa services're configured to be run on
initlevel 3

"aumix -q" will tell you if the sound volume is muted or not

"/sbin/fuser -v /dev/dsp" will tell which program uses the sound card.

All of that is under the trouble shooting button in the harddrake section of
Mandrake Control Center but I've always found it easier to just do as Stephen
posted and run draksound as super user rather than clicking button after
button. Or just use the commands above (and post the results) since that's
where they just came from. <g>

Charlie

- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User 244963 at http://counter.li.org
Cooker on kernel 2.4.22-10mdk
09:57:12 up 6 days, 23:17, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.07, 0.07
The absence of labels [in ECL] is probably a good thing.
                -- T. Cheatham