rikona wrote:

Hello Charlie,

Sunday, September 28, 2003, 12:39:36 PM, you wrote:

I got 9.0 in a box when 9.1 was just coming out. After a period of
learning, I tried to get some additional programs for 9.0, but
found almost all were for 9.1, and some did NOT work with 9.0. It
was as though the 9.0 code had dried up and blown away.

CM> What code? What programs?

Don't remember all of them now, but included Office, Opera, Sylpheed,
Pan, Octave, Gnucash, and many others.

Wasn't 9.0-9.1 the time of the big version change in gcc? That could be the source of your problems - if so, it's a rare event. Other incompatibilities sometimes occur because of updated libraries, though _sometimes_ you can get round them by using the nodeps option when installing.

You can nearly always find older versions on rpmfind.net .

Sir Robin

--
"I can say: 'Thank these bees for their honey as though they were kind people who have
prepared it for you'; that is intelligible and describes how I should like you to conduct

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi
Ankara 06533