On Sunday 28 September 2003 05:41 pm, Charles A Edwards wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:37:08 +0000
>
> Kaj Haulrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Dennis, I just pressed "bounce" immediately. Sometimes that
> > doesn't work and shortly thereafter I'll get a "message
> > undeliverable" reply from my smtp server. But this time I
> > haven't got it, so I presume the spammer got the message
>
> 9 times out 10 with this type of spam the spammer is using a spoofed
> address.
>
> The fact that you did not receive a "message undeliverable" to your
> bounce means that you have successfully 'spammed' an innocent victim.
>
> If spam concerns you use Spamassassin or other such program to
> scan your mail.
>
> When the occasions arise where spam slinks through your filters, control
> your lust for retribution.
> The prudent course of action is usually the wisest and most efficient,
> simply delete it.

If you really do want to do something to hurt the spammer, learn how to read
and decipher mail headers so that you can track the originating source.
Usually, this is also some clueless innocent user who has either allowed
their proxy server to be used by others without control, or allowed their
mail server to relay messages, or as I have been seeing more and more
recently, someone with a cable modem or DSL whose machine has been
compromised by one of the recent viruses or worms and who is now being used
as an open relay by spammers.

You can notify the ISP and get the source machine closed down, at least
temporarily disrupting spam operations.  For some, this is a lot of trouble
for very little gain since at most it is merely inconveniencing the spammer,
but I do it because a little trouble still raises the cost of their
operations and the whole point is to make the diminishing returns more
expensive so that they will go on to some other kind of lowlife activity,
like scamming senior citizens from boiler rooms with teleslime.
--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer