as a followup, i wrote to the author of the cd-writing howto.  i asked
if one wrote to a cdrw the same way one writes to a cdr.  he replied
that there was no difference in writing but that the cdrw should be
blanked before rewriting.

i asked the original question because when i was in windows, i had to
use special software to write cdrw.  i have now discovered, like so many
other windows products, it is unneeded.

thanks for the replies guys

:P