So I described what all was happening. I got a user setup that won't go into KDE and
now I have root not going in as well. I'm running under and alternate user that I set
up just for this. Oh a couple of facts I left out before, I'm running Mdk 9.1,
whatever the version of X11 and KDE that comes with it. Also, after I couldn't get
into KDE from the user login, I rebooted and tried again, didn't help. That was when I
tried root and it worked once, but then not again. Can someone tell what is going on?
Am I right is there some sort of temporary file that I need to kill in order to get it
back up? I feel like I ought to know how to fix this, but its just beyond my
fingertips, ya know?

Tom Williams